Make your own free website on
Electoral Commission
Roman Christianity
The next political struggle: The coming genes manipulation war
Peux ton predire les chances de survies de l'humanite depuis son patrimoine genetique ?
Electoral Commission
Court Europeene
Court europenne
Democratie Directe
Specification technique de la platform cliente
Technical description
business plan
Page Title
Book edition

Enter subhead content here

To register as a political party in the UK, groups must:

  • Register with the Commission, which maintains two party registers, one for Great Britain and one for Northern Ireland.   Registration was introduced to ensure proper regulation of party finances.  Once registered, the party is subject to strict financial controls.
  • Choose to register in either Great Britain or Northern Ireland or both.  If registering in Great Britain, the party can decide whether or not to be registered in each of England, Scotland and Wales.  Parties can only contest elections in the part(s) of the UK in which they are registered.
  • Decide whether the party headquarters will manage the finances of the whole party, or whether they should register 'accounting units', which manage their own finances independently of the party headquarters (for example, a constituency party of a national party).
  • Submit to the Commission
  1. an application form giving details of the: party name; at least two party officers; where in the UK the party is to be registered; and whether the party will have any accounting units;
  2. a copy of the party's constitution;
  3. a financial scheme showing how the party will comply with the financial controls;
  4. a fee of 150.

The Commission cannot register parties failing to supply all relevant information, and can refuse to register a party if it considers that its name may cause offence or confusion with other parties.

Once registered, parties are required to ensure that they maintain an accurate entry on the register of political parties. Changes to party details must be forwarded to the Commission, and an annual confirmation of details must also be submitted.


View other news items

The Electoral Commission

Trevelyan House

Great Peter Street




T: 020 7271 0500

F: 020 7271 0505


English Local Council Elections 3 May

On 3 May 2007 elections are taking place in most Local Councils, except in London.

To find out if elections are happening in your area, go to the elections page.

If you want to vote, you need to register by 18 April.

If you’re unsure whether you have registered, or you wish to change your details, contact your local electoral registration office.

On 3 May, polling stations will be open 7am to 10pm.

If you want to vote, but won’t be near your polling station on the day, you can apply to vote by post or proxy.

So if you want to vote on anything from housing or recycling to street cleaning or sports facilities, make sure nothing stops you.


Electoral registration office

Electoral Registration Officer
1Rushmead Road
E2 6NE

If you have any questions, call 020 7364 3756 .


2, Queen Anne's Gate
UK-London SW1H 9AA
tel +44 / (0)20 7227 4300
fax +44 / (0) 20 7227 4302
fax +44 / (0) 20 7227 4301 (Library)
fax +44 / (0) 20 7227 4327 (Press)
*E-mail *Internet <>

Enter supporting content here